   ***^\     ."_)~~
 ~( __ _"o   Was Wed, 14 Jul 2004, at 17:36:24 -0400,
   @  @      when [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Mica posted to [EMAIL PROTECTED] in

MM>> I made some Selective Download filters, using most frequently used
MM>> spamers' patterns, and am getting about 1-3% of spam after that
MM>> work. What remains are addresses consisting from random letters,
MM>> eg.: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Have you some idea how to define
MM>> this random part, using Selective Download option, as for instance
MM>> "random_part@"?

>   I'm not smart enough to do it that way.

It's easier, for me, than that what you have described in your message,
and has less of "coding" and "tweaking". Also, I am not so skilled, nor
"smart" as it may look from my description above. (-; I use very simple
techniques and just few of (probably "primitive" regex coding, and am
expecting that these can be done even simpler). I'll give you now the
model of what I'm doing and how...

1) Firstly I create a (Selective Download) filter of 1a) what mail I
*accept*. It is mail addressed to me personally, and 1b) the mail I
receive as a subscriber of various lists/newsletters.

2) Then, I create a (Selective Download) filter for specific spam
(and/or groups of) addresses, I have "fished up" in my "What a Garbage"
folder. There I use some regex "formulas".

The filter 1a) consist of some forms of my address and my full name I
find "regular", and which are never used by spammers (since they,
usually, do not know my full name). It requires to "tweak" a bit my
friends as well, "teaching" them to use *always* my *full name* in "TO:"
address field, but they usually *do* that. As to others, those are
mainly people who are versed well in "netiquette" and will use the name
I have in my "From:" and/or "Reply-To:" fields, so they will *not*
modify these fields, when reply to me or write a new message.

The filter 1b) consists of all appropriate addresses of various
lists/newsletters I am subscribed to. Usually it is well known
"Reply-To:" header of a given list.

The filter 2) is a bit "tricky". It is a direct result of my "work" on
spammers' addresses. Since they use mostly some patterns for creation of
these phony addresses, I use these patterns, when I notice them. One
example is a pattern when they use serial of random letters, then a
thread of several random numbers, where the numbers are limited by
number of digits these numbers are consisting of, like in this:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. For a such pattern I use this (Selective
Download) filter:

Under "Rule" I check "Entire header", and in "Signal string" field I
type "Return-Path: <\d\d\d\d\@" (where four "\d" represent any of four
digits, in the given number, before "@" character, which is enough to
detect the mentioned pattern in spammer's address). Then, at the
"Advanced" tab I check "Kill" (oh yeah!) and under "Detection method" I
check "Match any string as a regular expression" . That's all! And
bunches of spam letters are deleted from server, just by this filter. I
have 4-5 of similar filter strings with similar patterns.

These are very simple/primitive regex "formulas" but they do lots of
job.

Counting, therefore, just these 2 groups of filters (1a, 1b and 2) I got
to 1-3% of spam in my mailbox/HDD (I receive about 300-400 various
messages daily, and in last few months even much more; when some new
virus is "in", then the flow is also "richer"). "False positives" do not
exist, and if happens that sometimes a "regular" message is deleted from
server (for the last year only once, since the "rules" of addressing me
were not defined in a proper way, described above), I can check briefly
my LOG to see what is deleted, so I could ask the sender to resend the
message properly addressed.

And, these 1-3% entirely belong to the spammers which use that entire
"random letters" part before "@" character. If I'd find a way to get rid
of this pattern, I would hardly receive any spam on my HD.

If I would add a filter line for messages with CC and multiple "TO"
fields, it will reduce the spam even more, but it's a bit risky, since
some (small number of) "regular" messages arrive this way too.

Your filters are fine, and quite good pondered, but my goal is not
having spam on my HDD at all, and making be "in touch" with it as less
as possible. (-: That's the reason I am concentrated on this automatic
"ten meters pole" rather than on having additional work/expenses dealing
with spam downloading it and when is already on my HDD.

I suppose such "style" of filtering is also much better for us who still
pay for minute/hour of connection and do not use very quality
ISPs/servers.

And all about these filters of mine described above are much, much
simpler then it could seem from my description. (-: That is, you need
less time to make them, than for a description.

- --
Mica
PGP key uploaded at: <http://pgp.mit.edu/> once just before breakfast