On Sun 8-Aug-04 11:30am -0400, Pete Holsberg wrote:
> Saturday, August 7, 2004, 11:15:51 PM, you wrote:
>> On Sat 7-Aug-04 6:02pm -0400, Pete Holsberg wrote:

>>> I'm having trouble with a filter. Perhaps someone can spot
>>> my error.

>> I've not tested your filter with "refilter."  I used it with your
>> hotkey.  It appears to work fine with the minor modifications I
>> mention below.

> To test the filter, did you select a folder before hitting the
> hot key combo? Did you select any messages?

Yes, I selected the message(s) I wanted to "harvest" and hit the
hotkey.

>>> Rule
>>> ----
>>>
>>> Source: Inbox\04-01
>>> Move messages to folder: Inbox\04-01A

>> Using the hotkey, leave these at their defaults.

> How does the filter know which folder to filter?

It only filters selected messages.  If you actually need to filter an
entire folder, click on any message followed by Ctrl-a (select all)
before pressing the hotkey.

>>> Filtering strings:
>>> Strings    From:
>>> Location   Sender
>>> Presence   Yes

>> There's no need, with hotkeys, to add a filter for your harvesting
>> action.

> I don't understand. Without a filter, how do I copy
> the email address of each sender to a specific group
> of an address book?

You do need a filter.  You don't need re-filter.  The hotkey activates
your filter.

>>> Active - checked
>>> Manual only - not checked

>> Check Manual also.

> Why?

To use your hotkey.

>>> I close this, go to the Inbox\04-01, click Folder >
>>> Re-filter. It says that it filtered N messages, but when I
>>> look at the AB, nothing has been added.

>> If you actually want to process all the mail in a folder, just use
>> ctrl-a to select all before your hotkey.  The normal use, however,
>> would be to press your hotkey on a message whose sender you want added
>> to your AB.

> The whole point is to grab ALL the from addresses from ALL the messages
> in a folder.

Hmm, by your inclusion of a hotkey, I assumed you normal use was to
select the messages and hit the hotkey - that's how I use a similar
filter.  It's a simple matter to select all messages in a folder then
press the hotkey it the rare (in my case) need to do so.  This
approach involves to message movement and no rule is required.

Bill