Hello Simon,

Thursday, September 23, 2004, 9:43:27 AM, you wrote:

SM> This is a very popular misunderstanding, made by people who have used
SM> Windows for a long time. Think about this: You have spend 5 or 10
SM> years beeing a Windows expert, and knows how to do everything. Then
SM> you try Linux (with a GUI), and suddenly everything is done
SM> differently. It would be just as hard going the other way, from Linux
SM> to Windows.

well, I DID start with DOS, not windows, though it was still MS-DOS :)
so I learned command line even in a DOS environment. Then came dosshell
for dos 5.0 , then finally Windows 3.1 ( lets not talk about 3.0).
But at the same time I was also learning AT&T UNIX, and this was even
before Unix SYS V/386. It was also command line, no GUI.

SM> You can see it the same way as when you get a new VCR: You have spend
SM> 5 years figuring out how to program the old one, and when you get a
SM> new one you can't program it.

I still don't know how to do that and I've had the VCR longer than that!

>> Recent "popularization" of Linux,

SM> I will not call the Linux GUI (called X) "recent". It have existed for
SM> many years, and actually I saw X with a scinable GUI 5 years before
SM> Microsoft launched Windows XP.

and I also run 2 shells for my Windows XP box, Litestep and LDE(X):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ldexforwindows/

built for windows, to look more like a Linux X GUI  :)

SM> Which is good. When you build a lot of graphics into the core of an
SM> operating system, there is way more thing which can go wrong. The
SM> Linux core does not force you to use a certain interface - Windows
SM> does.

you can get to a command line in both windows and Linux. You can do MORE
in the Linux environment, if you know what you are doing. Without a GUI
shell, you are severely limited in what you can do with windows, most
apps need the gui to run.
I learned UNIX admin when there was no graphical interface, it was all
command line. even the VI editor was command driven, and there is even a
VIM multi-window VI editor for windows!

but ( to be on topic) you can't run TB in Linux without running Wine, or
cross-office, or whatever that interface is, so you can run windows app
under Linux. So for now I stick with TB & XP.
 Paul