Tim, [T] wrote:

> Can someone give me a reminder on terminology? What's compressing,
> and what's purging (on IMAP)?

Compressing in TB! is the complete removal from the message base, all
messages marked for deletion.

Purging in TB! removes those messages that fit your purging criteria,
i.e., messages beyond a certain time limit for the base or messages
that would not be kept once the message number limit is exceeded.
Usually a compress operation is done at the same time to completely
remove the messages from the base.

IMAP uses the term 'Expunge' to mean that you're permanently deleting
from the IMAP mailbox in question, all messages marked for deletion.

Since compression in TB! terms is the same as expunging in IMAP
terminology, TB! seems to have retained using the word 'compression'.

I rarely hit purge+compress to get rid of messages marked for
deletion. I usually just use compress since TB! does not purge in
IMAP. Purge+compress simply compresses. No purging is done.

> The setting I described removes deleted messages from the server in
> my setup -- is that purging or compressing?

Compressing and it works here for me too. It saves me a lot of hassle
with compressing manually. Usually the folder is compressed once I
exit it.

--
-= Allie =-
..... On a scale of 1 to 10, 4 is about 7.