Hi

On Sunday, 31 October, 2004, at 7:00:32 AM, Tony wrote:

M>> I get very odd suggestions for "spellchecker", including
M>> "Seychelles" and "belched". I am using "British English,
> I get those suggestions too but only under 'suggest more'
> 'suggest more' almost works like  an anagram solver :)

I was getting them without using "suggest more" unless I selected
"Suggest split words".

M>> yet I also
M>> get "paycheck" (which should be "pay cheque").

> According to my paper dictionary it should be paycheck.
> Also according this on-line dictionary http://www.m-w.com/

Mirriam-Webster Online is an _American_ dictionary.

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary defines "paycheck" as "noun
{C} US FOR pay packet"

> For my level of English the spell checker comes close to perfection.

It's probably ok for somebody whose first language is not English.
The "British English" spellchecker was suggesting Americanisation
of so many correctly spelt English words that I had to install an
alternative dictionary file in order to use it.

> I hope RitLabs is also considering grammar checking.
> I've seen it in MS Word.

But not in Outlook Express. You could copy/paste from a word
processor into an email client.

> It's far from perfect

Definitely.

> but does detect a fair number of errors.

And also regularly suggests changing perfectly clear, correctly
constructed sentences into complete nonsense.

MFPA                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! v2.12.00 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1