Hello P.Johnson,

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:03:59 -0600 GMT (05/11/2004, 06:03 +0700 GMT),
P.Johnson wrote:

PJ> I'm getting a new computer and want to get the best firewall and virus
PJ> protection I can, and have been looking at Trend Micro PC-cillin
PJ> Internet Security. I am wondering if any TB! users have tried this
PJ> suite; and more generally, if there has to be specific compatibility
PJ> between email programs and virus software.

I am using PC-Cillin and TB.

Problem 1: There is no plug-in. This means that every time a virus
comes, the email will not be imported into TB, as the initial bat*.tmp
file will be arrested by the PCC realtime scan, and the infected mail
will be downloaded each time again (and the *.tmp file arrested so the
mail cannot be imported into TB) until I delete it manually from the
server. There probably is a way to exclude *.tmp files from scanning,
but what then is the purpose? The infected mails will still be
imported into TB, but now PCC will arrest the whole folder when I try
to open it! Had some funny "disappearing all mails in a folder" issues
over that a few years back. So I decided to disable the realtime scan,
and I manually scan any suspicious attachments before I open them.

Problem 2: PCC (since it has no plug-in for TB) will not be able to
scan mails that come in via secured connection. So the infected mails
will be received by TB anyway. Again, no point.

At home, I am comfortable with scanning attachments manually. Most
malware can be identified by sight anyway. In the office, the AV scan
is server-side. That's much better, IMHO.

PJ> "We have no answer to this question for now but you may try using your
PJ> software but please enable the webmail scan feature.

I do not know what the webmail scan feature would have to do with
this.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Drink wet cement: Get Stoned.

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.0.2.4 Rush
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A