Hello Allie,

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:54:31 -0500 GMT (06/11/2004, 21:54 +0700 GMT),
Allie Martin wrote:

>> Problem 1: There is no plug-in. This means that every time a virus
>> comes, the email will not be imported into TB, as the initial bat*.tmp
>> file will be arrested by the PCC realtime scan, a

AM> Couldn't you just exclude the TB! installation and mail directories from
AM> scanning as well as the bat tmp files? There's really nothing else to
AM> exclude.

Yes, I could. In fact, I excluded all file extensions by just turning
off the darned realtime scan. But the question was about TB and PCC,
and if the solution is to exclude the tmp files and the TB directory
from realtime scan, the question must be answered as "useless
combination".

>> Problem 2: PCC (since it has no plug-in for TB) will not be able to
>> scan mails that come in via secured connection. So the infected mails
>> will be received by TB anyway. Again, no point.

AM> This is assuming you use an encrypted connection. If you don't, then
AM> excluding the temp files and the TB! directory from realtime scanning,
[...]

Yes, this is a second scenario. This way, PCC won't stop the malware
at the tmp level, and won't arrest the folders. In fact, it would not
interact with TB at all. Which is what was said above.

>> At home, I am comfortable with scanning attachments manually. Most
>> malware can be identified by sight anyway. In the office, the AV scan
>> is server-side. That's much better, IMHO.

AM> Manual scanning can be tedious, but we get accustomed to a lot.

An AV program with a TB plug-in would filter the infected mails to a
quarantine folder within TB, where you could do with them what you
want. In my case, delete them all (except for that test message with
Eicar), but it's in any case more convenient than manual scanning.

AM> Afterall, some find having to worry about viruses at all to be rather
AM> tedious. :)

Do they know how tedious it is to reinstall everything from backup?
;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Um zu antworten, bitte die From-Zeile mit ROT13 bearbeiten. Danach mit
MD5 hashen, zeichenweise den ASCII-Code um 2 erhoehen (mod 57) und
erneut um 63 erhoehen. Dann mit der urspruenglichen Adresse x-oren.
Schliesslich am Ergebnis erfreuen und so antworten wie gewohnt.

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.0.2.4 Rush
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A