Hello Thorvald Neumann & everyone else,

on 25-Dez-2004 at 11:35 you (Thorvald Neumann) wrote:

>> I have my own domain. I pay money for it. Thats my decision. However, I
>> have no choice with Google scanning my mails to show ads to the
>> recipient. For me, and maybe for me alone, thats a completely different
>> league.

> What about the official scanning of all emails for "security reasons"
> after January 1st in Germany? TKÜV E-Mail Überwachung...

Good that you mention it. There's a lot of misunderstanding are paranoia
about this at the moment. I hope I can put it into understandably english
(I'll stop public replies to this topic after this one, promised).

In short (way OT) - monitoring of telecommunications is already allowed for
law enforcement, it is existing law. Just like telephone companies must
make it possible for officials (after a judical decision) to tap into a
phoneline, email providers with more than 1000 clients must make it
*technically* possible that officials can monitor email traffic of crime
suspects.

The TKÜV means that email providers *must* supply ways for law enforcement
to actually monitor - BUT that monitoring will only happen after a judical
decision. By no means all mails are scanned "just in case".

Further information:
http://www.regtp.de/tech_reg_tele/start/in_06-09-00-00-00_m/index.html
(german site, of course)

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)
 using TB! v3.0.2.10 Home on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

It is not because he is a good worker that he is prosperous, but
because he dreamed. -- Lost Star