On 05 February 2005, 14:07, Thomas Fernandez wrote:

GL>> FWIW, I didn't claim it to be either a security or a privacy issue -
GL>> just something that I don't want.

> Others may want it. It is requested as an option only.

GL>> However, there are known security issues with html images that can
GL>> cause buffer overruns and, in the right (or should that be wrong!)
GL>> circumstances, give an attacker control over your computer. [...]

> I agree with everything you say. However, there are some newsletters I
> trust, and I would whitelist only those. It is my own responsibility
> to choose membership in the whitelist reasonably, but it is not my
> MUA's responsibility to nanny me.

> It wouldn't effect you, Geoff, if I, Thomas, made a mistake and
> allowed malicious code on my computer. It would be my own problem
> entirely.
~~~

I'm not saying for one moment that these things should not be
available for those who want it - just that you should have the option
to turn them off if you don't.

Someone suggested that opening external images directly couldn't hurt.
I just wanted to point out that it can -- with that information it
should be up to each to assess the risk and act accordingly.

That said, you can retrieve the entire message, external images and
all, even in 1.62. All you have to do is double-click the icon for the
HTML page to open it in your default browser. So, if you want to
subscribe to newsletters that you trust and that contain external
images, you can even with TB 1.x

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane