   ***^\     ."_)~~
 ~( __ _"o   Was another beautiful day, Sun, 3 Apr 2005,
   @  @      at 12:28:06 +0200, when Alexander S. Kunz wrote:

> Hello Jeff Gaines & everyone else,

> on 01-Apr-2005 at 12:05 you (Jeff Gaines) wrote:

>> Has anybody any recommendations for an effective A/V product that will
>> work unobtrusively in the background and check my incoming email?

> Very interesting comparisons can be found on the "comparative" section of
> http://www.av-comparatives.org

> The November 2004 retrospective scanning is very interesting, they tested
> various scanners with completely outdated virus signature files (from
> August 2004) against 8 new in-the-wild viruses|virii|virae (sp?), NOD32 is
> the only one with 100% detection rate - they have a very good
> heuristic/generic scan engine.

If you need some *external* "authority" to "affirm" your very personal
"face-to-fact" experience (or even your *existence* itself! (-: ), then
wouldn't be bad to check out for instance who was nominated, by an
Authority of Nobel's prize(s) in last 10, 20, or even 30 years
(especially "for peace"), when the "global" system of values has began
its severe decomposition. (-:

If *that* is so "reliable", what to say about "authorities" in the
sphere of software. <g> And especially regarding "security" and
"privacy".

No, and *no*, I do not say that here mentioned NOD32 is a "bad" or not
so good! (My personal experiences with it are excellent.) I just say
that an "external authority" is *not* enough, especially in the areas
where a "big money" is flowing around. Let's be a bit more...reasonable.

There is no guarantees that even a very good software, becoming
"popular", and enough "renowned", will not become "something else"
pretty soon, if there are "enough reasons" for this. Influence of money
and external (especially "corporate") "authority" to human mind,
shouldn't be underestimated.

My intention is here to say: let's try to be our own "navigators", "our
own light", in situations when so many false ones are present. Because,
we *are* capable for this! (-:

And, in some way, we are even *obliged* to do so...

- --
Mica
PGP keys nestled at: http://bardo.port5.com/pgpkeys/
[Earth LOG: 214 day(s) since v3.0 unleashing]
OSs: Windows 98 SE Micro Lite Professional IVa Enterprise Millennium
     with nestled ZipSlack(tm) 9.1, and, for TB sometimes, Gentoo
     and Vector via Wine...
 ~~~ For PM please use my full address as it is *exactly* given in my
                     "From|Reply To" field(s). ~~~