Friday, May 13, 2005, 9:18:44 PM, Marck wrote:

MDP> Add a simple outbound mail filter to move sent mail straight to the
MDP> Inbox. But here, I have to step into soapbox mode. It's not wise to
MDP> use the inbox as a main storage folder - it is high traffic. I keep
MDP> mine empty. Once you have a good filtering system in place, inbound
MDP> and outbound messages can be routed to specific folders for specific
MDP> topics.

I've heard this advice before and I am a little confused.  Surely,
unless one has a large number of folders to filter out to, then any of
those target folders is also going to be relatively high traffic?

Further, the avoidance of a "high traffic" folder is predicated on what?
Is TB! not to be trusted with high volumes in one place?  If so, why
not?

And while we're here - define "high traffic".  If I receive 200 emails a
day and filter them to 10 folders, then I am trafficking 20 emails per
day per folder.  Another user might only receive 20 emails a day total
and yet this advice would suggest they should filter out to other
folders.  This doesn't stack up.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see this as valid *generic*
advice unless the inbox is to be treated as a deadly scourge.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

--
Cheers,
 Allister