Hello Steve,

> The way we did it in VA (sorry to keep bringing that up) was to always
> have the threads opened by default but use the Return key to move to
> the next unread message.

You can Customise that. I was used to using Return in VA and I have
always used it in TB and still do :)

> Unlike in The Bat! and Outlook, the messages in VA never changed
> status from unread to read in x seconds while reading.

Select your Account/Properties/Options and untick 'Mark message as read
when it is being read for...'

> See what I mean?

It can be done Steve. It just isn't the default in TB.

I also use a Space to mark a message as read (which was default in VA).
So I just go Space and Return to jump to next unread.

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v3.5