Hello Henk,

On Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 12:21:10 AM Henk [HMdB] wrote:

>> As I intended to finally use it I changed S/MIME configuration to use
>> "Microsoft Crypto API".

>> Sadly I wasn't able to sign any e-mail, most probably because I choose
>> the wrong settings. All I get (after selecting the appropriate key
>> when I'm asked) is

HMdB> Did you import the e-mail certificate into the Bat!?

Nope. I want to use the certificate stored using MS Crypto API.
Importing into TB! and using internal S/MIME implementation is not
what I want.

HMdB> Does it have to be Microsoft CryptoApi? Not internal implementation?

It does, because the certificate is linked to a chip card. Where
normal certificates are password protected this one is PIN protected.
Wherever else I use it (e.g. Online Banking) I have to enter my
card-PIN using the card reader (therefore the PIN never goes to the
computer and the certificate can't be misused because no password can
be cracked/guessed/hacked/whatever).

This PIN-confirmation is activated by MS Crypto methods, whenever one
of the other programs tries to use the certificate the chip card
driver (plus a service plus component X) interrupts and asks me to
insert the chip card and then enter the PIN (instead of the usual
password dialog).

Seems I don't get only TB! to behave this way, it's just I don't want
to use Outlook or Outlook Express for sending mails signed with this
certificate ;-)
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

(The Bat! v3.51.10 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2)

Condition red: spent casing dropping to the ground...