Hello Richard,

M>> no text editor gets the formatting when you copy from Word and paste
>
> That's another useful snippet of information learnt thanks. Although why
> Word can't make formatting exportable I don't know. Maybe it's time to
> give OpenOffice a go.

It is not a Word problem, you would have the same problem if you go to
OpenOffice. It is a problem between _word_ processors and _text_
processors.

When you copy something from a _word_ processor, that includes all the
extra information that you don't see (i.e. formatting, paragraph
hierarchy, fonts and sizes, colours, possible indexing info, etc.,etc.)
and the word processor doesn't know (it can't) where you are going to
paste that. You may want to paste it just a couple of pages away, or in
another word document, or.... Follow me?

When you paste something in a _text_ processor, how can it know where it
comes from to understand its formatting, etc.? Does a text processor
have to understand the special coding (formatting) done by MS Word,
OpenOffice, etc.? So, all it pastes are ASCII text characters with the
basic formatting that can be done with ASCII characters like space and
end of line and it strips all other control and formatting characters
(actually combinations) it cannot understand.

That's how it more or less works :)

Please support the wish for a 'Draft' folder at:
https://www.ritlabs.com/bt/view.php?id=5441

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v3.63.09 (Beta)