Hi

On Thursday 4 May 2006 at 3:32:04 AM, in
<mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul Berger wrote:

> There was an in-depth discussion here  a few months ago. I don't
> remember the details, but they supported the -ize ending in nearly all
> uses.

My understanding is that while -ize is standard in the US, in most
cases in the UK it is merely an "acceptable" alternative to the
usual -ise form. (I repeat my previous comment that to whom it is
"acceptable" has never been clear.)

I can see an argument for supporting a spelling that is standard
one side of the pond and "acceptable" the other side...

> Harrap's Dictionary of English Usage

Never heard of it.

> Times change.

Yes, when I was very young it was trendy and modern to use -ise.
-ize was still about but generally going out of fashion.

Throughout my school/college career -ize generally cropped up only
in old or American texts (except for some reason in the past
tense, -ized was much in evidence).

A couple of decades later and -ize has gained in popularity once
more. I remain convinced this is due to dodgy spell-checkers.  ;-)

MFPA

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

Using The Bat! v3.0.1.33 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1