Joe @ 2006-10-24 5:24:33 PM
"Why is The Bat's mail being rejected?" <mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> Erm... we have to clarify this as it is very important. Is this
>> *your* IP adress, or the IP address of a Bellsouth mail server?

> Frankly, I'm not sure. I just assumed that it was mine (isn't every
> computer assigned an IP number?) because it's the one mentioned in
> the error message. I'll have to do some research and get back to you
> on that one. Thanks again for walking me through this!

Yes and no.

The following is simplified. A lot. It also assumes that BellSouth
uses DHCP as many other ISPs do. They may or may not.

Since not all BellSouth customers are online at once, they don't have
enough IP address for every one of their customers. So, when you log
in/connect your DSL modem/etc., you are randomly assigned one of the
available IP addresses. The previous user of the IP address could have
sent the spam, causing the IP address to be picked up by the
blacklists. You could try resetting your DSL modem to see if you get a
new IP address, which may pass the problem on to someone else. You
could also try calling BellSouth.

Remember, the above is simplified and speculative. My psychic powers
have been working recently, but they could have stopped. :-)

--
Chris

Using The Bat! v3.85.03 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2.
Accessing a POP3 mailbox.

Today's Oxymoron: Terribly pleased