Hallo Secret,

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:55:36 +1000GMT (29-7-2007, 7:55 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

SS> Ah, thanks for that. I've just tried that out, and yes - when
SS> saved as .txt, that template is used. The only thing now is that
SS> for messages I have previously saved as .msg (I thought this being
SS> the default meant it was the best format to save as),

The best format depends on the purpose, so it's a bit difficult to set
a default that suits everybody.

SS> I need to find that date. I've opened up one of those messages,
SS> gone into View, and checked Created and Received - but I think the
SS> information is incorrect.

I tested a bit and the info looks correct over here.

SS> This particular message I believe was received by myself on 5
SS> June. I saved it to my hard-drive and deleted it from The Bat on
SS> 22 July. Now, the Created field shows 3 June, and the Received
SS> field shows 29 July - i.e. today. This to me is incorrect (for
SS> both dates, but especially Received showing today's date and
SS> time).

Let's trace back what you did. You saved the message as .msg, that
means that you saved the message as it was received by TB. That's
what .msg (or .eml) means for TB, it saves it according that format as
defined in RFC 2822. So TB didn't save the date the original message
was received. But the template you were using wouldn't have done that
either, that would've saved the date of creation (as listed in the
header) converted to your own timezone.

You say the created field shows 3 June, that suggests that it was
created on 3 June, though it is possible that the computer that
created the message wasn't running on time, that still happens though
it tends be more and more rare for internet connected computers not to
be connected to a time server.

You received the message on 5 June, that's possible. I don't know
whether you check your mail every day, but even if you do, it's still
possible for messages to be delayed for a day or two. It's also
possible that the sender created the message and subsequently shut
down the computer before actually sending the message, thus sending
the message when he started his mail client again. (Happens a lot to
people who're using a dial-up connection.)
It's also possible that you're mistaken about the received date.

This covers the difference between the date as shown in the Created:
field and your memory of receiving it.

The date as shown in the Received: field is the day you read it from
disk, remember that the .msg format doesn't store a Received: header.
Therefore TB grabs the date that the message is known again. Hence
today.

The date that you saved the message has nothing to do with this stuff,
though TB has the %Date macro that enables you to store that date in a
text file.

That's what went wrong.

You're able to look for the original info in the message by pressing
Ctrl-Shift-K while viewing the message with TB.
Somewhere among the headers you'll find a line starting with Date:
that's the header that TB uses to compute the date of creation.
At the top you'll find one or more headers that start wit Received:
those are the time/dates that the message passed the intermediate
servers. TB doesn't do anything with those headers, but stores them
for your inspection.
This Ctrl-Shift-K trick also works for messages in the message base,
pressing Ctrl-Shift-K another time hides the headers again.

You want to be able to recall both the created and received date from
your stored message. My suggestion would be to use the unix mailbox
format, that has a field that stores the received date and it will be
recognised by TB when reading it from disk (or importing it.

--
Groetjes, Roelof

And those who lack the courage say it's dangerous to try.
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 3.99.8
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 pop3 accounts
OTFE enabled
P4 3GHz
2 GB RAM