Hello Bradley,

> Hate to teach anyone to suck eggs but have you tried pinging your SMTP
> server when you are having problems? ...

Thanks for the nudge in that direction. I can't believe I didn't think
of pinging the server to be sure it was up, but doing so led me to a
partial explanation of what has been happening.

Turns out to be a little off topic for tbudl, but I found that
manually querying particular ISP DNS servers provided by DHCP results
in one of two server IPs being returned. One of those servers seems to
be permanently down, so when that address is returned I get the no
connection error. If the other is returned, the mail goes out.

I have no idea why a DNS query on 'smtp.comcast.net' (from my location)
returns two different IPs, seemingly at random, one of which is dead.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts...

--

Dave Goodman
The Bat! 3.99.29