Hello fellow listmates:

Old-timers will recall that 3-5 years ago I inquired as to the best way
in which to use The Bat on more than one home computer.  Some
suggestions were posted, but I never followed through.  However, with my
intention to upgrade to the current version (see separate post) I am
revisiting this issue.  We have a desktop and a laptop.  Currently, The
Bat has been accessed only via the desktop.   With the establishment of
a second home office in the same house I would like to also access all
of our e-mail from The laptop as well.  How is this best done so that
mail can be downloaded by either machine without the other losing access
to either old or new mail?   I would also like to be able to download
mail on the laptop when it is away from home, and either later merge
that mail with the mail on the desktop, or, in the alternative, download
the mail without deleting it from the mail server so that the desktop
can also download the mail.   It seems to me that there are several

1. Install the new version of The Bat on both the laptop AND the desktop
(are two licenses needed?), but then set up the mail folder on the
desktop as a shared folder so that the laptop's The Bat will point to
folder on the desktop.  Is this possible?  When The Bat opens up on the
laptop, it will automatically display the messages that are on the
desktop.  If messages are sent or downloaded via the Laptop, the actual
message content would be stored on the desktop. Again, is this possible?
Finally, when traveling, the laptop could download messages, but upon
returning home, the messages would either be copied to the desktop, or
the download would be done in such a way that messages would be left on
the server for later downloading by the desktop.

2.  Install the new version of The Bat on both the laptop AND the
desktop, but also copy all mail from the desktop to the laptop so that
both computers have all mail on their hard drives. Allow either machine
to download e-mail, but set up some sort of automatic synchronization
between the two machines.  Again, is this possible?  If so, how would it
be done?

--

Avram Sacks

Chicago

Using ver 1.62r on Windows XP professional sp2.