Hi Everyone,

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 09:56 +0200, Alto wrote:
> Hi Günter,

> > I'm looking for the best way to achieve the above, i.e. having the
> > entire message base (something like 70,000 messages) available at both
> > locations.
>
> Just use IMAP instead of POP. Keep in mind that TheBat's IMAP is quite
> buggy at the moment though, so you might want to wait (and pay) for
> the repairs promised (once again) for v4.1.
>
> One advantage of IMAP is that you can access the same storage from
> anywhere, with any program. You could perfectly well use e.g. TheBat
> at home and Outlook at work.

I have set up my gmail account for IMAP recently, since I am now running
both Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux 8.04.  Ubuntu includes Evolution as the
emailer, contact manager and scheduler, and it does well with IMAP.  I
have then installed Evolution for Windows to be able to access the same
mail from Windows.  I was going to use TB for IMAP (I have used it for
Gmail's POP access) but have been reading in this newsgroup and TBBeta
that TB may not yet still still be the best for IMAP, so I will continue
to use it for POP sending (gmail allows that).  FastMail.fm (an
international provider of email service of various types) normally uses
IMAP and has comments on the different mail programs.

http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/ExternalMail.htm#ExternalAccess

They do say, unlike what I hear in our TB newsgroups, that TB has no
reported issues with their IMAP.  They also recommend Thunderbird pretty
highly for IMAP, along with Mulberry and Pegasus (I haven't checked all
of their program listings about IMAP clients).  They report some issues
with Outlook XP, in contrast.

Since you have SO many messages, synchronizing them with your IMAP
server may take a good while, I'd think.  There are people on this list
who know a great deal more about IMAP than I do.

Bob Riley in New Mexico, USA