Hallo Simon,

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:51:43 +0100GMT (12-9-2008, 13:51 +0200, where I
live), you wrote:

P> So, this is my take on how this breaks threading:

P> 1. (i)  A new email with a new 'subject' is sent from an Outlook client.
P>    (ii) Outlook does not add a message-ID: header to the email.

That's still something that can be configured in Outlook

P> 2. (i)  In The Bat! I receive the email and reply to the Outlook message
P>    (ii) The Bat! does not include an In-Reply-To: header because their is no
P>         message-ID in the email being replied to, so no References either.

Ouch! Not only does Outlook 'forget' to insert the msg-id, but the
intermediate servers also forget about that, according to the relevant
RFCs that should be done.
Anyway there's nothing you can do about that.

Only thing I can suggest that you switch to thread on references and
subject.

P> So, without Outlook providing and initial message-ID TB! won't thread the
P> messages. I can of course thread by References and subject and received time
P> and hope that the right messages are threaded together, but still...

But you thought of that yourself.
When the automatic threading goes awry, you can always override the
threading manually....

--
Groetjes, Roelof

The Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed.
http://www.voormijalleen.nl/
The Bat! 4.0.34.1
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
3 pop3 accounts
OTFE enabled
Quad Core 2.4GHz
4 GB RAM