Hi

On Thursday 3 September 2009 at 4:03:02 PM, in
<mid:56009531.20090903220...@thomas-bkk.my-fqdn.de>, Thomas Fernandez
wrote:

> I don't use PGP at the moment, but isn't it one of the
> points? I mean, you have to exchange public keys (or
> download them from the keyservers) in order to be able
> to decrypt and check the signature.

Sorry, I worded that badly. The behaviour I am questioning seems
peculiar to The Bat!. It is usually possible with PGP (or GPG) to
decrypt a message that is encrypted to your key, whether or not it
happens to also be signed and whether or not you have a key to check
the signature. TB! will not do this.

You need your secret key to sign a message.

Anybody needs your public key to check a signature that you made with
your secret key.

You need somebody's public key to encrypt to them.

You need your secret key to decrypt a message that somebody has
encrypted to your public key. You do not need their key to decrypt
the message.

--
Best regards

MFPA

Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600