On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Jeff Sturm wrote:

> Lee T Hall wrote:
> > WELD is an acronym for "Web Enabled Logic Documents" and performs
> > server parsing of HTML with JACL.
> [...]
>
> Very nice article you've written on your rationale for WELD.  I've had
> many of the same thoughts about Web programming that you expressed so
> well.

The term "thread safe" is very misleading. Jacl interps are safe
if you use them properly. The problem is that the documentaiton
about how to use them properly is a little thin. A new paper on
the subject of multi-threaded interaction with a TclJava interp
is being authored by Jiang Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. I am sure
he will publish the URL on this list when he thinks it is ready
(If you want to help out, I am sure Jiang could always use another
pair of eyes to help review the paper).

> I have a few concerns about the WELD implementation.  First, binding an
> interpreter to a servlet session doesn't guarantee that it won't be
> invoked concurrently, and JACL interpreters are not thread-safe
> (right?).
>
> Second, the TemplateCache class does not preserve newlines when it reads
> a file.  The newlines are important to preserving the integrity of a
> document.  Some tags (i.e. <PRE>) will not work correctly otherwise.

I was under the impression that Lee was running into some slowdowns
because of the lame way the subst command was implemented in Jacl.
This problem is easy to fix and I thought Lee said he was going to
send in some patches, but nothing ever came of it.

> Third, why rely on a custom command ("weld") when the Tcl subst command
> does about the same?

later
Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.