From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dori Green
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:12 AM
To: TCP List
Subject: Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Ned Bedinger wrote:

Who would you trust to codify what it takes to be a certified tech
writer?

**************************

I looked briefly at the program offered by Clarkson University (posted
on TCP by Donna Jones, http://www.techwriter-certification.com/), and
it's terrific.  I will probably go for one of their certificates this
year just as a hobby (have also been looking at the "Business
Leadership" Masters programs at St. John Fisher College near Rochester,
haven't checked SUNY Brockport yet).  I don't really want to be a
full-time manager although I seem to be moving in that direction in my
non-profit work.  I actually love tech writing, could see myself
continuing in this job well past retirement (maybe as a part-time
consultant after official "retirement"), and the Clarkson online
offerings look like a yummy way to climb up to speed in some of the new
tools and techniques.

Of course I will ask my boss to pay for them.  They're priced reasonably
so if he won't cover them, I can.

It was a condition of employment that the company would cover a Lead ISO
Auditor certification program this year, but we're still waiting for the
2007 budget approval.  It's a chunka kaching, so they might reasonably
ask me to move other professional development to next year (and I think
I'm putting in for the STC and ASQ national conferences then).

I know Clarkson pretty well; received my BA at SUNY Potsdam just across
the river.  Clarkson is a very solid technical college.

Before committing, I might also look at what's being offered at
Rocheater Institute of Technology, Renssylaer Polytechnic, and
Carnegie-Mellon.  Maybe a project for the list could be for reps from
different regions to research TW-related certificate programs at their
local colleges and we consolidate the results at the website?

On the general topic of certification, I must say that my official ISO
training certificates from a recognized provider have done more than
anything else to get me into exactly the work that I want.
Specialization can be a blessing as well as a curse.

Dori Green

PS -- How did this hop from TCP to Techwr-l?  I moved it back.

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.

DOCUMENTATION & TRAINING WEST 07: THE USER EXPERIENCE

April 18-21, 2007 ~ Vancouver BC ~ Marriott Pinnacle ~ free city tour
40+ sessions * free workshops * free iPod offer * www.doctrain.com
Subscribe (email): send a blank message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe (email): send a blank message
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

DISCLAIMER:
Important Notice *************************************************
This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of
this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it
and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error.
Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of
information in this e-mail.E-mail messages may contain computer viruses or
other defects, may not be accurately replicated on other systems, or may be
intercepted, deleted or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or
the intended recipient. If you are not comfortable with the risks associated
with e-mail messages, you may decide not to use e-mail to communicate with IPC.
IPC reserves the right, to the extent and under circumstances permitted by
applicable law, to retain, monitor and intercept e-mail messages to and from
its systems.