Sean,

I can only relate my experience and thought process, and then you can use
whatever seems to be of benefit.

I was in my mid-40's when I decided that I wanted a Masters--I made that choice
for me, not my employer.  I also chose an arena that would allow me to build on
experience, but not limit my horizon, so I chose Organizational Communication.
I definitely did NOT want a Masters in Technical Communication (which in no way
is a comment on the many who do choose that program), I love training and
marcom too much, so this degree program seemed a perfect fit.

I knew that corporate culture at my employer at the time embraced personal and
professional development--reimbursement based on improving skills in the
current job or one that I wanted to move into (a key phrase in the guidelines).
 So I was able to combine my interest in the program with the company's stated
mission to develop management and leadership skills ... and two years later I
received an MA in OCOM.  In between the parent company closed down the division
I worked for, and I headed into the contractor life.   Did I plan for that?
Absolutely not.  Am I glad I did it?  Completely.

It really was one of those "know your audience" situations.  It was also a
win-win.  I knew they'd never buy into tech comm as a higher level career path,
but the program I went for didn't limit it, so it worked extraordinarily well.
I'd paid for it on my own (and did for my last term).

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."   - Walt Disney