Hi all,

OK, I'll weigh in here with a slightly different perspective.

I was 42 when I decided a major career change had to be in my future.
After getting some professional career counseling, I chose to go into
technical communication. There was an excellent master's program in
technical communication, through the English Department at a local
university, and I made the decision to go for it.

Two years later, I came out of the program with the master's degree and
a job before I even graduated. (I also got on-the-job experience as a
student by doing an internship.) I know for a fact that the degree was a
key factor in winning that first full-time job. I *don't* know for a
fact but strongly suspect that it has been a major contributing factor
in at least one other position I have held over the years. And I also
believe that it has allowed me to obtain a higher salary than I would
have otherwise gotten (though that was not a particularly strong factor
in my decision to get the degree).

Am I a better writer and technical communicator than I would have been
without the degree? No doubt about it.

Am I in a better position because of it than I would be without it?
Probably.

Has it given me a perspective and understanding of the profession I
would not otherwise have? Absolutely.

Would I have gone for the degree if I were already working in the field
of technical communication? I doubt it, but I can't say for certain. I
certainly wouldn't have done it *just* for the money. There are other,
more intangible benefits, to having the degree; but those benefits
definitely do translate, I think and hope, into my being a better
technical communication professional than I would have otherwise been.

Sorry for the length. One of my major weaknesses as a TCr.

Chuck Beck

Sr. Technical Writer | Infor | Office: 614.523.7302 |
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.