On Behalf Of Martinek, Carla quoted an article that included:
> Even before he knew about Keeley's blog, linguist John McWhorter wrote
> an opinion article in the New York Sun arguing that quotation marks
can
> be considered legitimate indications of emphasis in non-standard
English
> (especially on hand-written signs, where bold and italics are
difficult
> to use).
>
> "Call it the new boldface," McWhorter wrote. "It is an understandable
> mistake. Quotations set off something, and it's a short step from
> setting something off to emphasizing it."
>
> I asked McWhorter in a telephone interview if it's still reasonable to
> chuckle at emphatic quotation marks, even if the usage is
> understandable.
>
> "It's a little snobbish, but we're all human," McWhorter said.

To which I reply:

"Linguist" John McWhorter, huh?  Ri-i-i-ight.

Kevin

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.