Hi Lisa,

I would recommend NOT putting your contract work into another category
from other employment because you'll lose the benefit of having things
in reverse-chronological order. If you work as an independent contractor
for a few years, you don't want people to get the impression that you
weren't working at all during that time. Below are a couple of
suggestions for how to include contract positions or self-employment

Option 1 -- If you have done multiple, back-to-back jobs for one
contract company (including a company of your own):

  Technical Writer, Contract Company Name
   - Contracted to ABC (dates)--Spell out your job
     responsibilities as part of a bulleted list.
   - Contracted to XYZ (dates)--Spell out your job
     responsibilities as part of a bulleted list.

Option 2 -- If you want to emphasize the company you did the work for
(but without lying about being an employee) and de-emphasize the
contract company:

  Technical Writer, ABC Company (dates)--As a contract
  employee, ... (or As an independent contractor, ...)

Option 3 -- If you want to lump together assorted contract/consultant
jobs (works for odd jobs that took up time but didn't contribute to your
career path):

  Self-Employed Technical Writer (dates)--Performed
  technical writing, editing, and desktop publishing
  for several companies, including ABC Company and
  XYZ Company.

I tend to use Option 2 because I can't remember any more which contract
houses I used for which contract positions (four jobs through three
companies back in the 1990s). Some of the contract houses don't exist
any more, so listing them would be useless anyway. No one has ever asked
about which contract house I billed through.

Regarding your question about the "e" after the hyphen. Capitalize it!
:-)

Best regards,
Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be
legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review,
use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.