FYI, I'm on digest, so may have missed the latter part of this thread...

I'm part of the documentation group at Arbortext, now part of PTC. We're
basically just an XML authoring and publishing toolset, so Arbortext
tools will certainly not replace technical writers.  We do enable
something called "dynamic publishing" that lets companies use the
capabilities of XML to use the same source material to create and
maintain various types of outputs like printed documents, PDFs, online
documentation, etc.  While that might reduce the number of writers
needed, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it certainly won't replace
them.  In fact, many of our customers employ a great number of writers
to maintain their documentation.

So no worries....

Chris Goolsby

Principal Technical Writer