I disagree with Sharon and Paula completely...

OK, no I don't. I just wanted to say that.

Unless I was being sarcastic, which is rarely good in a technical
document, I would not tell the reader that if s/he performed some action
then some result "might" happen.  In the past, I actually have
threatened to do that in internal discussions with developers and their
managers when they were being too "iffy" about this or that issue... but
I've never gone through with it. (Yes, I'm a big chicken, but it happens
that the offenders saw the error of their ways and didn't call me on it.
:-)

However, in situations where there are several optional choices that the
reader can make, and various scenarios - perhaps some known and others
not necessarily known - I choose "might".

"Depending on your organization's security policies and regulatory
environment, you might <need | wish> to invoke function X."  That's the
situation about which John B was asking in his original post.

I wouldn't use "may", because the reader is being given non-binding
suggestions or told of possibilities that they might like to explore...
not being given permission.  Once they own our product, they don't need
permission.

Now, may I please leave the room?

Cheers,

 - Kevin