From: Sue Heim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 11:57 AM
To: Jones, Donna
Cc: TCP List
Subject: Re: [TCP] Word choice: Might or May?

Hey! My post three days ago said to rewrite the sentence!!! (But y'all
ignored me! <pout>)

If anyone cares, the MS style guide says the following (this is from the
2nd edition, which is online and easy to copy from).

...sue

can vs. may

Use the verb can to describe actions or tasks that the user or program
is able to do. Use may or might only to express possibility or when the
result of an action is unknown or variable, not to imply that the user
has permission to do something.

Correct
You can use the /b option to force a black-and-white screen display.
If you use the /b option, your code may not be portable.
If the table overlaps the text or the margin, you may need to resize the
table and wrap text around it.
If the table overlaps the text or the margin, you can resize the table
and wrap text around it.
Many new programs might run very slowly on less powerful computers.

Incorrect
You may use the /b option to force a black-and-white display.

In general, avoid could; it's seldom necessary. Might, however, connotes
a sense of "a possible occurrence" without the suggestion of permission
or recommendation, so it can be useful in some instances when may seems
to imply permission.