On Apr 21, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Philip Rosenberg-Watt

> On 4/21/14 15:58 , "Guy Harris" <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> OK, so frames for LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP, or whatever we end up calling
>> it, are:
>>
>>      the last 6 octets of the modified preamble as specified by 65.1.3.2
>> "Transmit" in 802.3-2012
>
> Correct.

OK - is LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP a good name, or might there be other flavors of
point-to-multipoint in the future, so that we should call this
LINKTYPE_ETHERNET_P2MP_EPON or something such as that?

>> followed by
>>
>>      a regular Ethernet frame (with the destination MAC being the MAC of the
>> splitter, rather than the MAC of the final destination?)?
>
> The destination MAC is the same as defined for Ethernet in IEEE 802.1. I
> can't find anything in the specification that says that the ONU/OLT will
> rewrite the destination MAC. The ONU/OLT has an internal mapping to
> associate LLIDs with MACs of connected devices, and uses it for forwarding
> packets to the appropriate Ethernet port.

So why doesn't the destination MAC suffice to determine which is the
appropriate Ethernet port?

>> And those would be LINKTYPE_ETHERNET, with just a regular Ethernet frame
>> with the right destination MAC, and nothing preceding the destination MAC?
>
> Yes, because the sniffer would be connected downstream of the ONU/OLT

E.g., connected to the Ethernet in the subscriber's home?