MSS, WS, SACK, and TS are part of the standard TCP header. Moving these options
elsewhere would change not only the TCP header but affect the fundamental
TCP/IP protocol architecture. This would have to be brought up at least in
TCPM, IMHO.

I do not deal with middleboxes but I think the following has been discussed in
the IETF in the last decades:

* MSS option: As already mentioned, this is often modified e.g. in xDSL
networks (MSS clamping)

* WS: SYN only option, i.e. hard to encrypt, has to be read by Wireshark,
stateful firewalls, etc. to determine whether a TCP segment is in-window, also
has to be understood by TCP PEPs that reduce RWND (e.g., to prevent congestion
on a last hop)

* SACK: May perhaps be used by transparent TCP caches that transparently
retransmit segments (e.g., in SATCOM environments), probably also read by
anomaly detection systems, stateful firewalls, packet loss estimation in
network analytics, etc.

* TS: Probably used for RTT estimation in network analytics, possibly also some
CG-NAT use, etc.

And I am pretty sure this list is not comprehensive in particular regarding
network analytics and dynamic traffic engineering. TCPM contributors may know
more.

For measurement purposes any application protocol running on top of TCP could
copy the content of TCP options into an application layer protocol structure.
Unless I miss something, I think measurement is completely orthogonal to
encryption.

Michael