Black, David writes:
> I like Amanda’s suggestion of: “Expert Review with RFC Required”
> That should result in two security reviews of a new TEP, both of
> which could halt a weak one. Looking at the Independent Submission
> track as the “path of least resistance” that would be the IETF
> Security Area (ADs and Directorate) as part of RFC publication plus
> an IANA expert review as part of codepoint assignment. Thank you,
> Amanda.

We (talking as secdir secretary) do not do security reviews on the
independent submission documents. Area review teams only review IETF
stream documents and ignore other streams (Independent, IAB, IRTF
etc).

Expert can of course do whatever checks he wants, and the IANA section
can set some instructions for expert, for example ask him to verify in
the specific mailing list before doing assignments etc.

I as an IANA expert for the IKEv2 related registries (it is just
expert review, no specification or RFC required) usually do require
stable reference before I say assignment is ok. I also quite often
send email to the ip...@ietf.org list before doing assignments, if I
think there is something that might be important to people there.

Anyways everything this boils down getting expert for the IANA
registry that we (as an IETF) can trust do good job of blocking bad
ideas...
--
kivi...@iki.fi