On 11/17/17 11:17, Daniel B Giffin wrote:
Is your concern that these two peers can get "stuck" in a
state where they repeatedly fail a mutual attempt at
resumption, thus forever falling back to no encryption?

In the case of a hash-collision of resumption identifiers,
it seems we don't get stuck because the active opener will
advance to the next session secret on the next connection:

        When proposing resumption, the active opener MUST use the lowest value
        of `i` that has not already been used (successfully or not) to
        negotiate resumption with the same host and for the same pre-session
        key `ss[0]`.

Ah, you're right -- this will prevent issues with hash collisions. I suppose there's still a small chance of this situation arising due to implementation errors, but I suspect it's not worth decreasing the incidence of resumption to account for those.

/a