On 03/16/2016 02:33 AM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Mukunda Modell <mmod...@wikimedia.org <mailto:mmod...@wikimedia.org>> wrote:

    On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Kevin Smith <ksm...@wikimedia.org
    <mailto:ksm...@wikimedia.org>> wrote:

        I would mention that in some cases, I would prefer to accept
        the commit as is, and then perform minor refactoring, such as
        changing a name, fixing a typo, or rearranging the code. Not
        only does that clearly separate authorship, but it would also
        encourage those changes to be reviewed by someone other than
        that author.

This works when CI jobs aren't red. When CI jobs are red (for example, jscs / jshint style guide for javascript which would count as minor tweaking), it might sometimes be faster for the reviewer to fix them and merge them.

    This ^

    I think this says what I've been trying to say, only better.

Thank you Kevin and Mukunda. I think I still probably disagree with you, but I understand what you're trying to say a lot better now, and I'm now in the "mild disagreement" category.

My mild disagreement: I think it's good to have a system where people collaborate on a patch before it lands in trunk/mainline. Subbu's case seems reasonable to me.

To be clear, for sure, we can find other ways of collaboration and other ways of fixing / amending patches.

But, overall, I haven't understood why the tool has to be so opinionated about this. It seems more flexibility is better .. having a flag letting projects turn on/off this feature seems a better approach rather than dictate workflows for all users / projects?

Subbu.