From: "Wanda Farrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 8:44 AM
Subject: Children's Internet Protection Act update

Hi, Iowalibbers --

We've all been wondering when the court decision on the Children's Internet
Protection Act will be announced.  Here's an update from Don Wood of ALA's
Office for Intellectual Freedom.   Once the decision is announced, we'll
post it immediately.

Gina Millsap
President, Iowa Library Association
Director
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Ave.
Ames, IA 50010
515.239.5632
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ames Public Library:  We Connect You to the World of Ideas!

We anticipate that the CIPA decision will be released any day now.  The
three-judge panel is well aware of the upcoming FCC deadline of July 1
for implementation of filtering software if the law is upheld.  We
believe that the panel will rule with enough time for libraries to make
decisions prior to the July 1 deadline.  We will post the ruling as soon as it
is available. We urge libraries to refrain from making final decisions
until the decision is released.

__________________________

Don Wood
Program Officer/Communications