J, I'm thinking about blocking this site and letting the staff know.  What
do you think?

C.

At 06:53 AM 10/25/02 -0500, you wrote:
>This advisory could effect Windows users who use Outlook as their e-mail
application.

>SOPHOS ADVISES ON UNWANTED "E-CARDS" FILLING EMAIL INBOXES
>It's not a virus, it's not a worm.. but it could be considered a
>nuisance.
>
>Sophos technical support has received a significant number of calls from
>customers concerned about a widespread email which invites users to pick
>up an "E-Card" from a website called FriendGreetings.com.
>
>If users follow the link in the email, they are invited to install an
>ActiveX control onto their computer. An end-user license agreement
>(EULA) is displayed stating that by installing the application the user
>is giving permission to send a similar greeting card to all addresses
>found in the user's Outlook address book.
>
>Of course, many users will not read the EULA thoroughly and will simply
>give permission for the ActiveX control to be installed, thus allowing
>many unwanted emails to be sent.
>
>The emails arrive with the following characteristics:

>   <Recipient name> you have an E-Card from <Sender name>
>
>Body:
>
>   Greetings!
>
>   <Sender name> has sent you an E-Card - a virtual postcard from
>   FriendGreetings.com. You can pick up your E-Card at the
>   FriendGreetings.com by clicking on the link below.
>
>   <A url at www.friendgreetings.com is then displayed>
>
>   Message:
>   ----------------------------------------------------------
>   <Recipient name>
>   I sent you a greeting card. Please pick it up.
>   <Sender name>
>   ----------------------------------------------------------
>

>It should be noted that this is not a virus or a worm, and that the
>email has no attachment.
>
>Customers with web proxies who are concerned about users forwarding
>unwanted emails may like to consider blocking access to
>www.friendgreetings.com. The website is run by a Panamanian company
>called Permission Media, Inc. Companies who receive unwanted email as
>described above may wish to complain directly to Permission Media.
>
>Sophos recommends companies consider blocking access to non-work-related
>websites, and educate users to check with their IT department before
>installing unauthorised code onto their computers.
>
>More information can be found on the Sophos website at
>http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/greetings.html
>

>---
>[This E-mail Scanned For Viruses By Declude Virus Scanner]
>[This E-mail Scanned For Spam By Declude JunkMail]
>
>---
>[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

>Archived messages from this list can be found at:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/tech-cord@;aea5.k12.ia.us/
>This E-mail was scanned for viruses by servers at the
>Fort Dodge Community School District

Charlton H. Pendry
Director of Technology and Library Media Services
Fort Dodge Community Schools
104 S. 17th St.
Fort Dodge, IA  50501
Voice:  515-574-5668
FAX:   515-574-5324
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Weekley Rule for Writeres  (Rejected by Strunk and White's "The Elemunts of
Stile")
Rule #21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary.  Parenthetical words
however should be enclosed in commas.