> On Sep 22, 2021, at 5:23 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhan...@eschatologist.net> wrote:
>
> On Sep 22, 2021, at 7:10 AM, Jason Thorpe <thor...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, ultimately, we translate “HID report” -> “ws* input event”.  Or are
>> you suggesting that we should have a new interface to user-space that just
>> sends HID reports?
>
> That sounds like a good long-term plan, IMO, given the prevalence of HID in
> the modern era and the ability to map virtually everything to it.

That wouldn't really bother me and seems like a really good idea, it's just
work that I don't want to do :-)

(A set of helper functions to generate HID reports for devices that need to
translate to HID from their native protocol would of course be super helpful.)

> I've though occasionally about putting together drivers for some of the
> HP-HIL devices (single-dial-and-button rotary encoder, dial box with nine
> rotary encoders, and button box with 32 buttons with LEDs) but haven't had
> much clue how to wire them into the higher layers of the system to actually
> use.

Some people have all the luck getting cool HP-HIL devices!

-- thorpej