> On Jan 26, 2024, at 2:41 AM, Robert Elz <k...@munnari.oz.au> wrote:
>
>    Date:        Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:26:38 -0000 (UTC)
>    From:        mlel...@serpens.de (Michael van Elst)
>
>  | Fortunately the drive geometry isn't really used anywhere. All
>  | accesses just use the logical block addresses.
>
> I have been meaning to suggest for ages that we remove all the
> geometry nonsense from everywhere in the kernel, except those
> drivers that actually need it - those should be responsible for
> converting block numbers to CHS in a way that works for thej,
> if they really need it (ancient ide drives before LBA addressing,
> vax massbus drives, sun xd drives ... anything like that which
> almost no-one has seen in decades).
>
> It is just bizarre to see ssd and even nvme 'drives' claiming
> to have cylinders and heads!

100000% agree.  Alas, FFS's whole schtick is caring about drive geometry, so we
kind of need to fake up something for newfs on such drives (and we should do it
in a generic way so the code isn’t replicated in a million different places),
and have some way of getting the real info for drives where it actually does
exist.

-- thorpej