Hi there 👋,

My name is SD Asif Hossein, an enthusiastic Operating System and Low-Level
developer. I am a student currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in
engineering.

I am interested in one of the NetBSD projects, "Tickless NetBSD with
high-resolution timers" as part of Google Summer of Code.

*Why am I interested?*
When I had compiled my first custom Linux kernel, I had seen a timer option
saying "Tickless". I wondered what that was and doing some research I found
out it's going to save me a lot of power (By stopping the periodic timer
when the CPU is idle). But never wondered how it worked and how it was
implemented. Now that I am into OS dev. and planning to have my own
production Operating System, It's high time I figured out how the timers
work. In Linux the Tickless timer (Tickless idle and Tickless full) is
already implemented, there is no way to explore the functionality. Even if
I have a way, there won't be much coding involved. But NetBSD on the other
hand haven't yet implemented the Tickless configuration, which will allow
me to deep dive into the concepts and implementation of Tickless and
High-Resolution timers in general.

*General Idea: *
In this project I am expected to implement the Tickless timer (Most
probably dynamic tick or completely tickless or both) using the
High-Resolution timers. I have to implement the High-resolution timer
support for that, as NetBSD's High-Resolution timer is still in development
as far as I know. I also have to implement the architecture independent
APIs to adopt the configuration, change all the functions that use the
periodic timer, hardclock to use the tickless timer and make them provide
service/schedule when needed finally converting all the software subsystems
to tickless so that they avoid periodic work altogether; increasing power
consumption of NetBSD.

It's a very challenging project and I am not sure whether I will be able to
handle it. Maybe I will be able to or maybe I won't be able to. We won't
know unless I give it a shot.

Therefore, I am very interested to contribute to this project. I am fairly
new to Operating System dev and developed a hobby OS for learning purposes.
This will be a very interesting and challenging journey for me. I hope you
will find me capable 😃.

Waiting eagerly for your response. Thank you.

Regards.

My hobby OS : https://github.com/singul4ri7y/asif-os
My GitHub      : https://github.com/singul4ri7y/
My LinkedIn    : https://www.linkedin.com/in/singul4ri7y/