http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1368110.cms

source : TimesofIndia
 BANGALORE: It's beyond Bangalore for Infosys in
future. Call it the effect of the Deve Gowda-Narayana
Murthy spat or the company’s strategy to reduce its
costs, Infosys has made it official that its expansion
will certainly be outside of Bangalore.

We’ve no space in Bangalore. Bangalore is a very
attractive destination to hire people but we don’t
have space to add,’’ said T V Mohandas Pai, CFO,
Infosys Technologies. The company which holds over Rs
1,600 crore in cash has not been able to strike a land
deal for over four years in the city.

It is not just the lack of land which is forcing Infy
to look at other cities like Chennai and Pune. The
company believes that with travel time increasing in
Bangalore, it makes sense for it to look at cities
which offer better infrastructure.

The company has already announced it would have an
employee strength of over 50,000 in the near future
but its fresh additions would be outside Bangalore. We
will build capacity where we can quickly scale up,
where there is infrastructure.

 We have to grow and we will grow where the path is of
least resistance," said Nandan Nilekani, CEO and
managing director, Infosys. Though Bangalore accounts
for 16,000 of its total employee strength of 41,600,
its share in expansion has been steadily coming down.

Nandan even referred to a survey of Bangalore-based
software companies which indicated that most companies
would lower their hiring plans for 2006-07 (in the
city) when compared with 2004-05. There is a message
(in it)," he said. A message no doubt for the state
government, too, despite the solace in the fact that
Mysore figures prominently in Infosys future plans
with a capacity of 4,500 seats.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Yahoo! Groups Links