On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Kate Harris wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I want to go so hard on personal data, but... if the
>>> policy exists it doesn't have to be fully enforced all of the time,
>>> just if needed.
>> It has to be enforced consistently, or else it can be held to be
>> unenforceable. You can't fire user X over doing un-allowed-activity-A,
>> where users Y and Z do it and get away with it.
>
> Oh indeed.  Once the seal is broken on severe punishments for
> transgressions consistency must be applied.  But there are degrees of
> transgression in this case - a letter to a solicitor accidentally
> saved to a laptop and forgotten about vs. GBs of copyright material
> which was not legally purchased.

you are assuming that the 40GB of copyrighted material was not legally
obtained.

unless you have specific security needs (like in banking, in which case
you should have the laptops tightly locked down, no local admin, etc) wy
do you care if they have 40G of 'stuff' on their system? if they have a
50G drive it could cause you problems in installing upgrades, but if they
have a 120G drive on the machine (common nowdays), 40G isn't enough to
matter.

legitmate reasons to care are (in my opinion):

1. no space to install stuff that they need

2. you are backing up more stuff and it's costing you.

3. you are worried that they have illegal things on there and that you
will get in trouble over it.

for these

#1 if there isn't space for the nessasary stuff, the user will make space
(or was it really nessasary after all?)

#2 stop backing up their laptops (other than known config files that would
be useful for re-creating a replacement)

the hardest one to deal with is #3, and here you do need to talk to your
legal department. but I suspect that documentation stating that the
company provides and supports only software on the official list, and that
the user is liable for anything else on their system would probably be
enough. if they start storing this stuff on servers to share it you have a
different problem (companies _have_ lost money for allowing this), but on
laptops that are really as much under the users control as under yours it
can be a different story.

it's also possible to have something in the middle, where you don't allow
them to install software on the machines (on the basis that it may be
malware and infect the rest of your network, and since you don't know what
it is you won't be patching it), but don't worry much about data files
(just keep anti-virii signatures up to date).

this entire thing should be a cost-benifit analysis.

yes, it costs your IT team some effort to deal with these things, but the
benifit is happier users, who are less likely to quit (if you have your
personal and professional stuff mixed the thought of quitting and loosing
all that stuff is daunting ;-)

even if you end up finding that it costs you one extra body for every 100
users you are supporing, your management may decide to go ahead and tell
you to do this (more user satisfaction from getting this support then from
giving those 100 people a 1% raise).

David Lang