> From: tech-boun...@lopsa.org [mailto:tech-boun...@lopsa.org] On Behalf
> Of Doug Hughes
>
> RAID-5/6 are bad at IOPS. You get the equivalent IOPS of one disk
> (because all disks have to ask in synchronicity. But, for throughput,
> they are just fine. As long as you're writing more than (and preferably
> in multiples of) the stripe width, there's no penalty with a modern
> processor. zoom zoom for large sequential throughput.

I find this a gray area.  Below are the results of benchmarks I did in
November.  As you can see, my raid5 which should perform like 4 disks ...
performed like 3.5 for reads, and 2.2 for writes.

While that is an awful lot of overhead, the raid5 & 6 were actually better
for sequential operations than the equivalent raid-10 setup.

Conclusion:  raid-10 is better for random ops, while raid5/6 is better for
sequential ops.

1 disk:
1.0 read G/s sustained
1.0 write G/s sustained