>> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:32:46 +0100
>> From: Otto Moerbeek <o...@drijf.net>
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 09:24:30PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
>>
>> > Though for a program like cp, this may qualify as a big diff.  :)
>> >
>> > Continuing in my "make IO suck less" phase, cp would be a lot more
>> > efficient if it didn't bounce the disk heads around so much.  Instead of
>> > using a tiny 64k buffer, use an amount based on a small fraction of RAM.
>>
>> Isn't it the task of the buffer cache to optimize memory use here?
>
>Exactly the point I was just about to raise.

I agree completely.  It is also non-portable.  cp is the most basic of
basic unix utilities, and if enhancing it's performance requires such
a non-portable construct, then where are we headed?

Unix is first and foremost about providing a fair-share experience, even
if it isn't the most optimal (for many different definitions of optimal).