Moving this to m...@...

Would part of this discussion usefully related to such issues like using 'dd'
for diskwipes/copies/reformatting and slow data movement speeds?

There are times when I am wiping (for reuse) hard disks using 'dd' and I set
the BlockSize to > 512 (like 1M or so sometimes)
and the transfer speeds are quite a lot slower than for using 'dd' on some
other Operating systems. (Linux or Windows)

Mind you, for a lot of this, I am using oBSD RamDISK, so I am not anticipating
a full-fledged OS support for the ATA or SCSI or USB2 platforms. But for those
systems where I am using -stable or -current,  the speeds are still comparably
slow.

I concur with Theo's point on portability and making a sysctl for kernel is
hazardous, but what am I seeing in the above for 'dd' that would be causing
the poor performance?
(* BTW, I am using  if=/dev/zero for the baseline, other if=/...'es may have
lower performance as an input for compare*)

Just my 2 cents.

-sean