On Wed, 19 May 2010 09:36:14 +0200 David Coppa <dco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's good news! I don't have the "experimental" mesa patch, but
> > if you want me to test it, mail it to me off list.
>
> I've spoken too soon!
> The problem now has changed, but it's still here.
>
> Now the screen goes blank but not turn off (a black
> screen): no crashes or artifacts, but it's totally
> unresponsive and I need to switch to text console and
> kill X.
>
> The sad is that this error is unrecoverable: when I try
> to restart X, X starts with a blank screen again, with
> the message:

Testing with the "experimental" Mesa 7.8 on i845, I have similar
results. After VT switching a few times to and from text/graphics mode,
the screen goes black and you can't even get back to the text console.

The monitor itself shows loss of input signal, so intel is completely
stuffed.

The system is still up and I can ssh into it and see X and all X apps
still happily running as if there's nothing wrong. There is absolutely
nothing in /var/log/messages, Xorg.0.log or even in the console
capture. Ugghh! No core No cookie.

        jcr
--
The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org