Does anyone know offhand the reason why network connections fail
if socket buffers are set above 256k?

# sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262145
# telnet naiad 80
Trying 2a01:348:108:108:a00:20ff:feda:88b6...
Trying 195.95.187.35...
#

I was thinking of looking into it, but before going down that rabbit
hole I thought I'd ask in case there's a quick answer that somebody
already knows...

(yes, people do use buffers much bigger than this, I looked at some
of the academic ftp mirror sites - looks like mirrorservice.org wil
negotiate 3MB buffers, aarnet 35MB, if you let them - presumably
they try to avoid buffers being a bottleneck for clients reaching
them over a national network of at least 1Gb/s end-to-end).