On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:58:46PM +0200, Florian Obser wrote:

> > if you want to document it, i'd prefer to try and tuck it in nice and
> > neat, without an example. how about rearranging the section to something
> > like this:
> >
> >         Comments can be put anywhere in the file using a hash mark
> >         (`#'), and extend to the end of the current line.  The
> >         current line itself can be extended using a backslash (`\').
> >
> >         Additional configuration files can be included with the
> >         include keyword, for example:
> >
> >             include "/etc/pf/sub.filter.conf"

> > that would be just a one line addition.
> >
> > i'd prefer to try and keep this little blurb short, as i think we
> > should expect readers to understand the idea of `#' as comments,
> > and `\' as extending the current line.
> >

> Right.
> The problem is what happens when you combine `#' and `\' on the same
> line. pf.conf does one thing, extending the comment. ksh (for example)
> does something else, ignoring/commenting the `\'. I'm not sure if your
> addition captures this distinction.

ah, i missed that part. i think the text i proposed still makes it clear
that it would work this way but admittedly it does not address it head
on.

so i'm not fussed. i'll leave it to stuart to decide whether the example
is actually needed or not. i suppose if it is different to the shell, it
will confuse people.

jmc