On 2011/06/14 15:43, Jason McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:58:46PM +0200, Florian Obser wrote:
> >

> > > if you want to document it, i'd prefer to try and tuck it in nice and
> > > neat, without an example. how about rearranging the section to something
> > > like this:
> > >
> > >         Comments can be put anywhere in the file using a hash mark
> > >         (`#'), and extend to the end of the current line.  The
> > >         current line itself can be extended using a backslash (`\').
> > >
> > >         Additional configuration files can be included with the
> > >         include keyword, for example:
> > >
> > >           include "/etc/pf/sub.filter.conf"

> > > that would be just a one line addition.
> > >
> > > i'd prefer to try and keep this little blurb short, as i think we
> > > should expect readers to understand the idea of `#' as comments,
> > > and `\' as extending the current line.
> > >

> > Right.
> > The problem is what happens when you combine `#' and `\' on the same
> > line. pf.conf does one thing, extending the comment. ksh (for example)
> > does something else, ignoring/commenting the `\'. I'm not sure if your
> > addition captures this distinction.
> >

> ah, i missed that part. i think the text i proposed still makes it clear
> that it would work this way but admittedly it does not address it head
> on.
>
> so i'm not fussed. i'll leave it to stuart to decide whether the example
> is actually needed or not. i suppose if it is different to the shell, it
> will confuse people.

I think it needs to be mentioned explicitly as, although it's something
people coming from a programming background might expect, it's completely
alien to people who only edit configuration files and common scripting
languages.

You're right about it getting copied to other places, there are 9
copies in tree and I'd rather not come up with an example for each,
so I would be happier to have it in the text rather than as an
example if it can be done clearly, but I haven't managed it...